For federal government payments made through the Automated Clearing House (ACH) system, the recipient must enroll with the paying federal agency.
This chapter is a guide to the enrollment process for various payment types —-both consumer and corporate.
There are several enrollment options:
- Automated Enrollment (ENR) through the ACH for federal benefit payments;
- Paper Enrollment using FS Form 1200 for SSA/SSI, RRB, and OPM payments, Direct Deposit Sign Up Form FS Form 1199A for other federal payments, or the ACH Vendor/Miscellaneous Payment Enrollment Form SF 3881 for corporate vendor payments).
- Automated Enrollment (ENR) from the Financial Institution.
Errors in the Direct Deposit enrollment process are the primary cause of misdirected payments. Financial institutions will be held liable for providing incorrect enrollment information and should, therefore, carefully review all Direct Deposit enrollment procedures.
(available in PDF format only)
Chapter 1: Enrollment (2.3 mb)
Contents - Chapter 1
- A. Automated Enrollment/ENR 1-4
- B. Simplified Enrollment 1-5
- C. Paper Enrollment Methods 1-11
- D. Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form (FS Form 1199A) 1-18
- E. Federal Financial EDI (FEDI) Payments/Vendor Payments 1-25
- F. Enrollment Desktop Guide 1-30
- G. Automated Standard Application for Payments (ASAP) 1-41
- H. Termination of Enrollment 1-41